How can I get rid of mold problems in my home?
After you have addressed any water and humidity problems with your home, you then can work on removing mold. If you need to clean a large area of mold in your home, keep the following precautions in mind:
- When handling or cleaning moldy materials and cleaning solutions, wear protective gloves and eye goggles and dress in long sleeves and pants that can be easily removed in the work area and laundered.
- Minimize exposure to mold spores by using a respirator designed for particle removal for protection against inhaling mold spores. Respirators can be purchased from hardware stores. Be advised that such respirators will not protect you from fumes.
- Make sure the room is properly ventilated while you are cleaning; bleach solutions are irritating to the eyes, nose and throat.
- Start by trying to remove a small amount of mold to determine if you will have a health reaction to either the mold or the cleaning products. If you have a reaction, or if your home has so much mold that you cannot manage the cleanup on your own, contact a professional experienced in cleaning mold in homes. You also may need to hire a professional if mold is growing in an area of your home that is difficult to access, such as in ductwork.
- Make sure you prevent the spores and mold-contaminated dust from going into other parts of your home by hanging plastic sheeting to separate the area.
- Place the moldy items, cleaning rags and anything else that comes in contact with the mold in airtight plastic trash bags. Seal the bags before disposing of them. When you finish cleaning, immediately wash the clothing you were wearing.
Information provided bywww.nahb.org